~~A faculty-led, student-learning committee, Committee for Assessment of Learning Outcomes (CALO), coordinates assessment activities for the entire campus for the purpose of continuous improvement in learning. The quality of learning at UAFS is assessed through two primary sets of learning outcomes: a set of learning outcomes specific to each academic program and a set of institutional learning outcomes that target general education competencies. Measures include such approaches as portfolios, practical demonstrations, projects, presentations, comprehensive examinations, embedded exam items, class assignments, labs, and case studies.
The CALO is charged with planning, implementation, and oversight of all assessment activities at the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith including the following specific responsibilities:
- Development and periodic review and revision of the assessment plan for the University.
- Management of the assessment planning and implementation processes for the academic programs. The actual assessment activities for each major must be completed by the faculty members responsible for the curriculum in the major.
- Management of the assessment planning and implementation processes for the General Education Program. The actual assessment activities of the General Education Program will be completed by a system of subcommittees whose responsibility it will be to assess each of the University Learning Outcomes identified as program outcomes.
- Recommendation of changes to the Universities Assessment Processes and Policies.
- Evaluation of assessment reports as submitted by programs (unacceptable reports should be sent back to the College Dean with instructions for revision and resubmission).
- Informing the provost on the results of the evaluation of the programmatic reports including any requested revisions, corrections or changes.
- Development and implementation of training for new and continuing faculty members regarding the need for assessment within the programs; new and evolving assessment techniques; issues related to improved management of the assessment system (electronic documentation, etc.); and an overview of University Learning Outcomes.
- Prepare an annual summary report on the assessment activities of the University and submit to the provost.
Members of the Committee for Assessment of Learning Outcomes (CALO) act as assessment resources to the UAFS campus. The faculty on the committee serve as the "assessment expert" for their college or school during their term on the committee and provide oversight for campus-wide efforts in student learning and assessment in their own programs and college, as well as to faculty across campus.
This faculty-driven committee has been charged to peer review student learning outcome reports generated by fellow faculty.
CALO Ex Officio Members
- Three-year terms with 1/3 of the members being selected each year.
- Term expiration date is in ( ) next to the member's name.