September 15, 2011 - Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts Conference, University of Arkansas Fort Smith, Fort Smith, AR
Keynote Speakers for the conference were Ms. Judy Fox addressing Early Childhood educators and Dr. David Joliffe addressing Middle Level and Secondary educators. Talking points included guidance for the transition from current Arkansas State Frameworks, to Common Core State Standards, infusion of rigor and integrated instruction, and implementation of Common Core State Standards.
September 22, 2011 - Quarterly ERZ Advisory Board Meeting, Echols Building Conference Room, UAFS Campus
The Advisory Board meeting included introductions of new ERZ staff: Jennifer Jennings Davis, Director, and Marshal Hurst, Assistant Director, review of the ERZ goals outlined by legislation, aspects of an active partnership, and partnership opportunities available at University of Arkansas Fort Smith.
September 25 - 28, 2011 - Scholastic Audit Training, Little Rock, AR
Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst attended 4 days of training with Larry and Mary Ann Lock (L&M Educational Consulting). This training was for individuals who conduct Scholastic Audit for the Arkansas Department of Education. An effort to expand current knowledge of content, ensure uniformity, and maintain the integrity of the audit process was part of the training.
Month of October, 2011 - Greater River Valley Area
October 22, 2011 - BEST Robotics Open-House, Stubblefield Center, UAFS Campus
The Western ERZ hosted a BEST Robotics Open-House during the local game day competition. Lunch was provided to 54 students, coaches, prospective coaches, and pre-service teachers in the Lions’ Den dining hall. Participating ERZ Partnership teams were Darby-Kimmons and Waldron Middle School. A coaches table allowed for discussion among pre-service teachers, BEST Robotic Faculty Sponsors, and future BEST sponsors. Dr. Georgia Hale, Dean of the College of Applied Sciences, and John Martini, Professor of Electronics and Director of BEST Robotics were also available to provide an overview of the program and answer questions.
November 21, 2011 - Quarterly ERZ Advisory Board Meeting, Echols Building Conference Room, UAFS Campus
The Advisory Board meeting included comments from Dr. John Jones, Dean for the College of Education; school-specific partnering opportunities explored during October schools visits; and comments from Dr. Barbara Hunt, Executive Director of Teacher Education.
November 29, 2011 - Teach-a-Round at Cedarville Elementary School, Cedarville, AR
November 30, 2011 - Global Speakers Presentation at Mansfield Elementary School, Mansfield, AR
December 28, 2011 - Arkansas Common Core State Standard ADE Institute, Common Core Roll-Out Training, WAESC, Branch, AR
- Institute 1 - Arkansas Common Core Strategic Plan - Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst attended the one day training that was hosted by the Western Arkansas Education Service Cooperative.
January, 2012 - STEM Education Discussion, UAFS
- Marshal Hurst visited eight classes in the College of Education and the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics with a total of 244 students. Marshal talked to the students about having options when they graduated and how many jobs will be available if they decide to go into STEM Education.
January 23, 2012 - Western Arkansas ERZ Newsletter
January 28, 2012 - Regional National Science Bowl Competition
- Jennifer Jennings Davis served as judge for the regional competition host by UAFS.
January 30, 2012 - Fort Smith Public Schools Learning Showcase, Reynolds Room, UAFS Campus
- The Western ERZ hosted Fort Smith Public Schools for their Learning Showcase; 67 teachers with 3 students each presented projects. 244 parents and friends attended the showcase.
January 31, 2012 - Arkansas Common Core State Standard ADE Institute, Common Core Roll-Out Training
- Institute 2 - Assessment Literacy - Marshal Hurst along with 2 College of Education Faculty Members traveled to the WAESC in Branch, AR, to attend the one day training. Jennifer Jennings Davis facilitated the training for 2 faculty members and 24 pre-service students at UAFS.
February, 2012 - STEM Education Discussion, UAFS
- Marshal Hurst visited 2 College of Education classes with a total of 62 students about STEM Education. Marshal exlpained that there is a shortage of STEM teachers available in the state of Arkansas. Marshal also stated how important it is to have options when they graduate.
February 6, 2012 - Secondary Education Major Information Session, Reynolds Room, UAFS Campus
- Marshal Hurst spoke to 153 Secondary Education Major about possibly looking at STEM Education. Marshal explained that there is a shortage of Secondary teachers in the areas of STEM and talked about incentives in the areas of STEM education.
February 7,8,9, 2012 - High Schools That Work Technical Assistance Visit to Fort Smith Northside High School, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst served as members of the Technical Assistance Team for Northside High School. High Schools That Work is an initiative of the Southern Regional Education Board.
February 14, 2012 - Quarterly ERZ Advisory Board Meeting, Echols Building Conference Room, UAFS Campus
- The Advisory Board meeting included introducing the new ERZ Website and Newsletter; discussing the ERZ Program Evaluation; update on ERZ activities; and special presentation from Dr. Argie Nichols, Director/Department Head, Animation Technology.
February 17, 2012 - Socratic Seminar Demonstration, Hackett Public Schools, Hackett, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst traveled to Hacket Public Schools to demonstrate Socratic Seminar and other literacy strategies. A total of 11 teachers participated in the session, 8 teachers from the high school and 3 from the elementary.
February 28, 2012 - STEM Education Discussion for Orientation to Teaching and Pre-AP Geometry class at Northside High School, Fort Smith Public Schools, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst visited the Orientation to Teaching and Pre-AP Geometry class to discuss STEM Education with 41 students.
February 29, 2012 - ADE - CIV - Differentation Between CCSS Math and Math Curriculum, WAESC, Branch, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst attended to one day training over differentiation, instruction, and math transition into Common Core State Standards presented by ADE.
March 7, 2012 - College of Education Career Fair,
- Jennifer Jennings Davis assisted the Campus Career Center with the annual College of Education Career Fair.
March 12, 2012 - STEM Education Discussion, EITE, Darby Junior High, Fort Smith Public Schools, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst visited the EITE class to discuss STEM Education opportunities to 36 ninth-grade students.
March 16, 2012 - SREB LDC/MDC Roll-Out Plan Meeting, Little Rock, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis attended the meeting to hosted by the Arkansas Department of Education and Arkansas Department of Career Education regarding the Roll-Out for the Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) and the Mathematics Design Collaborative (MDC) for the 2012-2013 school year.
March 28, 2012 - Darby Mentoring Program- Darby Junior High School, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst took six UAFS students to Darby Junior High School to assist with their after-school tutoring program. The team worked with the director, four Darby teachers, and approximately 45 students.
April 11, 12, 13, 2012 - SREB LDC/MDC Site Obeservations, Fort Smith Public Schools, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst participated in the SREB LDC/MDC Trainers observation at Southside High, Northside High, Darby Junior High, and Kimmons Junior High. Jennifer and Marshal also participated in professional development for the LDC/MDC held at the Rogers Center.
April 14, 2012 - International Festival, Stubblefied Center, UAFS Campus
- The Western Arkansas ERZ hosted 17 Darby Junior High Students and 2 teachers during the UAFS International Festival. UAFS students served as mentors to the junior high guests.
April 16, 2012 - Darby Mentoring Program- Darby Junior High School, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst took 4 UAFS students to Darby Junior High School to assist with their after-school tutoring program. The team assisted the students with their Campus Beautification project.
April 16, 17, 2012 - External Evaluation - Sue Street Consulting
- Sue Street Consulting visited the Western Arkansas ERZ for the Arkansas Education Renewal Zone external evaluation.
April 17, 2012 - Quarterly ERZ Advisory Board Meeting, Boreham Conference Center, Baldor Technology Center, UAFS Campus
- The Advisory Board meeting included an update on the ERZ Request for Funding, ERZ Program Evaluations, and an update on activities. The last portion of the meeting was structuted as a Focus group for advisory board members to provide feedback to external evaluator, Sue Street.
April 18, 2012 - Darby Mentoring Program- Darby Junior High School, Fort Smith, AR
- Jennifer Jennings Davis and Marshal Hurst took 3 UAFS students to Darby Junior High School to assist with their after-school tutoring program. The team assisted the students with their Campus Beautification project.
April 19, 2012 - United Way Day of Caring
- Jennifer Jennings Davis, Marshal Hurst, and Sandy Mayhan participated in the United Way Day of Caring and volunteered at the Community Services Clearinghouse in Fort Smith.
| || |