STEM Faculty Advising
Advising is teaching. And good advising is more than just helping students choose classes. It is teaching them to set academic and career goals and helping them to develop strategies to meet those goals. At its best, advising is a developmental process in which students learn to make independent and informed decisions and take responsibility for their own success.
- Follow the flow of screens through FAD (faculty advisors) in BANNER.
- See the BANNER “cheat sheet” for descriptions and instructions for each screen!
- Make sure to remove student hold(s) in the SOAHOLD screen in BANNER.
- Make sure to make SPACMNT comments in BANNER.
- Fill out a Graduation Application for students at least one semester prior to the expected graduation.
- The graduation application should be accompanied with a copy of the student's Degree Evaluation, that you can produce in LionsLink:
- Login to LionsLink
- Click on Administrative Tools
- Click on Faculty in the left-hand toolbar
- Click on Degree Evaluation
- Send the completed and signed Graduation Application and all supporting materials to the Academic Advisor, JoAnn Chandler, for review and processing.
- Fill out the "Minor to be Deleted" or "Minor to be Declared" section of the Change of Major/Minor Declaration Form.
- Sign a current Minor Degree plan with student.
- Send completed form to the Academic Advisor, JoAnn Chandler, for review and processing.
Current Student - Change of Majors
- All students changing or declaring a new major within the College of STEM are required to meet with the Academic Advisor, JoAnn Chandler, to sign a new Degree Plan, Change of Major form and any necessary Course Substitution forms.
- Fill out and sign "Major to be Deleted" portion of Change of Major form.
- Send student to Advising Coordinator in the new college that houses the major they wish to declare (if you are unsure to whom you are referring the student to, please contact the Academic Advisor, JoAnn Chandler; 7129).
- IF the student is declaring a new STEM major, send student to the Academic Advisor, JoAnn Chandler, to complete the Change of Major form and to sign a new Degree Plan.