The Computerized-Adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System (COMPASS) is an un-timed, computer-based examination comprised of three (3) sections that cover reading, writing, and mathematics. Individuals may be required to take the COMPASS for placement purposes. On average, the COMPASS test takes an hour and a half to complete. For more information you can visit the web site: www.act.org/compass/
Test preparation materials are available in the Gordon Kelly Academic Success Center (Vines 202) or in the Boreham Library.
The first COMPASS test for admission to UA Fort Smith is administered free of charge.
For students wishing to attend another institution the fee is $10.
If a student wishes to retest to better their score the re-test fee is $25.
To have your official scores sent to another institution the fee is $5.
The COMPASS tests scores are good for four years. If a student scores below the minimum, a fee is required for a retest within this time period.
If the student's COMPASS test score(s) have expired, the student will not be required to pay a retest fee for admission to UAFS.
A Test/Retest Authorization Form is required and may be picked up at the Admission’s office or at the Student Advisement and Career Planning Office located in the Smith - Pendergraft Campus Center and bring the form to the Testing Center to test. If payment is required then a reciept from the Cashier's office is also required.
What to Bring
Please bringa photo I.D., Test/Restest Authorization Form and reciept. You may bring your own calculator, however we provide them here. Calculators above T84 are not allowed.
Your score will print out upon completion of the test.
The scores on the COMPASS test will not transfer to another university unless specified by that institution. Students expecting to go to another institution or intending to transfer to another school should take the National ACT, or complete their general education requirements prior to transferring.
All students seeking admission to UAFS receive one free COMPASS test in the event that he/she does not have course placement based on previous course work or acceptable ACT, SAT/ASSET scores. Students may not retest (even for a fee) once they have begun a placement sequence (e.g., begun a course). Students who have not begun a sequence may test a maximum of three times per year under the following guidelines.
Student scores below the minimum for admission:
1. Paid retest with no time delay between tests.
2. If the student scores below minimum on the first retest, he/she may retest a second time for a fee and after a three-month waiting period. The student must provide documentation of remediation completed during the three-month period.
3. Student must wait one year before being allowed to retest a third time for a paid retest fee. All retests after one year will require a paid retest fee.
Student scores into course work but is unhappy with placement:
1. Student may retest for a fee, with no time delay between tests, as long as the student has not begun a placement sequence.
2. If student is still unhappy with score(s) after the first retest, he/she may retest again for a fee with no time delay between tests.
3. Student must wait one year before being allowed to retest a third time. A fee will be required.