Bachelor of Science
A Bachelor of Science in chemistry prepares you for a career in the physical sciences.
What can I do with a degree in chemistry?
Though salaries and outlooks vary based on career fields and levels of education, people with a chemistry degree earned a median salary of $80,680 at the national level in 2020. Our chemistry graduates pursue a variety of careers including:
- Family and General Practitioner
- Physician’s Assistant
A minor in chemistry is also available for non-majors who are interested in a basic understanding of the field to provide a basis for advanced study.
This 15-17-hour program complements degrees in all areas of science by providing a unique insight into the physical sciences.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Their knowledge of chemistry theory via standardized testing.
- Ability to use the scientific method in the setting of a modern chemistry lab.
- The ability to present research data to a professional audience in a professional manner.
- Their understanding of social and ethical issues surrounding scientific and technological progress.
The chemistry program will also enhance students' abilities in the following areas:
- Analytical and Critical Thinking
- Identify a problem or issue and research, evaluate, and compare information from varying sources in order to evaluate authority, accuracy, recency, and bias relevant to the problem/issue.
- Generate solutions/analysis of evaluated problems/issues and assess and justify the solutions and/or analysis
- Communication Skills
- Communicate proficiently
- Compose coherent documents appropriate to the intended audience
- Effectively communicate orally in a public setting
- Ethical Decision Making
- Model ethical decision-making processes
- Identify ethical dilemmas and affected parties
- Apply ethical frameworks to resolve a variety of ethical dilemmas
- Global and Cultural Perspectives
- Reflect upon cultural differences and their implications for interacting with people from cultures other than their own
- Demonstrate understanding or application of the discipline in a global environment
- Demonstrate how the discipline impacts or is impacted by different cultures