Students who choose the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith come from all walks of life, but they all have one thing in common: They know the value of a solid education. When you earn your college degree from UAFS, your education goes far beyond the hours spent in class. At UAFS, you will:
- Study a curriculum based on the strongest academic principles.
- Prepare for your future using the latest methods in your chosen field.
- Connect with employers through internships and cooperative learning programs.
- Round out your experience through campus and community life or travel.
- Enter your future backed by a program that boasts excellent placement rates.
Quick Facts About UAFS
- Name: University of Arkansas – Fort Smith
- Founded: 1928
- Location: Fort Smith, second-largest city in Arkansas, population 86,209 (Ref: Census 2010)
- Chancellor: Dr. Terisa C. Riley
- History: Fort Smith Junior College (1928) / Westark Junior College (1966) / Westark Community College (1972) / Westark College (1998) / University of Arkansas – Fort Smith (2002)
- School colors: Navy, white and burgundy
- Mascot: Numa the Lion
- Campus: 170 acres / 66 campus buildings and facilities / 1.16 million building square feet maintained
- Academic programs: 74 total (33 bachelor’s degrees, 14 associate degrees, 27 certificates)
- Student activities: More than 90 organizations, including fraternities and sororities
- Athletics: NCAA Division II, Heartland Conference
Opportunities to combine mentoring and hands-on learning with academic coursework at UAFS will help you begin or boost your career.
Gain real-world experience, explore career options and make valuable connections:
- Internships with partner employers
- Cooperative education and skill development provided by partner companies
- Engagement through student organizations, student government and service projects
- Military leadership and career preparation through ROTC while earning a degree
Employers that partner with UAFS to provide internships and career-based education include ArcBest Corp., ArcBest Technologies, Baldor Electric Co., Beall Barclay & Co., First National Bank, Fort Smith Public Schools, Mercy, U.S. Marshals Service and many more.