Associate of Applied Science
Begin an exciting career in the fast-paced medical field with an associate degree in surgical technology.
The Associate of Applied Science in surgical technology prepares students to function in the operating room by combining classroom and campus laboratory instruction with actual surgical suite experience.
Successful completion of the program prepares the graduate to write the National Certification Examination to become a certified surgical technologist (CST).
Surgical technologist duties include preparing operating rooms and patients for surgery and assisting during and after the operation.
A separate application is required for admission into this program.
What can I do with a degree in surgical technology?
A degree in surgical technology provides medical terminology with human anatomy, general microbiology, and biological sciences that are applicable in a variety of careers. Surgical technology career settings can include:
- private surgeons' offices
- operating rooms in acute care hospitals
- obstetrical units
- ambulatory surgery suites
- traveling surgical technologists
- medical sales
- organ and tissue procurement
- veterinarian surgical clinics
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median wage for surgical assistants and technologists in 2022 was $56,350.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be able to:
- apply learned knowledge of human physiology and surgical anatomy in the perioperative setting.
- demonstrate knowledge of instrumentation and appropriate use in surgical procedures.
- apply knowledge of physiological, spiritual, and cultural diversity in the care of the perioperative patient.
- work cooperatively and become an integral member of the healthcare team.
- function in a professional, caring, and ethical manner when providing patient care.
The surgical technology program has accreditation through the Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA) - a CAAHEP Recognized Committee on Accreditation, and sponsored by the American College of Surgeons.