Bachelor of Science
Help the world smile brighter with a degree in dental hygiene.
Successful completion of the program prepares graduates for the written National Board Examination and the clinical dental hygiene examinations required for licensure to become a registered dental hygienist, an integral part of any dental team.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median wage for preschool teachers in 2022 was $81,400.
Online Completion Degree Option
This program is specifically designed for dental hygienists with an associate degree who desire to advance their education toward a baccalaureate degree. The fully online A.A.S. to B.S. completer provides enhanced theoretical and clinical knowledge to promote career advancement or the option to move into a new field related to dental hygiene, pursue a master's degree, or strengthen professional skills in communication and evidence-base practice.
Certificate of Proficiency
This 9-credit hour program provides curriculum designed for those in helping professions such as human services, health care organizations, educators, and others. Courses include Intermediate Spanish I, II, and Spanish for the Professions. Beginning Spanish I and II or required placement scores are prerequisites for Intermediate Spanish I. Please note that this certificate program is associated with the College of Arts and Sciences. For more information please contact the World Languages Department.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be able to:
- demonstrate all graduate competencies set forth by the Commission on Dental Accreditation to become a successful and productive hygienist who delivers optimal care to patients in the private healthcare setting.
- be clinically competent in assessing, exposing, and electronically storing dental radiographs when delivering care to patients.
- apply the knowledge to deliver the Dental Hygiene Process of Care to patients by assessing, diagnosing, planning, implementing, and evaluating.
- demonstrate the provision of dental hygiene care to promote client health and wellness using critical thinking and problem solving skills in the provision of an evidence-based practice.
- communicate effectively to patients and other dental healthcare professionals.
- access and evaluate appropriate information through written and electronic means.
- apply ethical frameworks to resolve a variety of ethical dilemmas.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of "approval without reporting requirements."