Act 1000 of the 1991 General Assembly of the State of Arkansas requires that state colleges and universities establish policies for academic clemency for undergraduate students. UAFS and predecessors (Fort Smith Junior College/Westark Junior College/Westark Community College/Westark College) have a policy whereby students may petition for clemency, providing the following criteria are met:
- Student must have submitted an Application for Admission and official transcripts for all previous college work.
- Student must not have been enrolled in any higher education institution for a period of at least five years.
- Student must submit the Petition for Academic Clemency form with all required signatures to the Registrar’s Office.
- Credits earned during the requested clemency period cannot have been used to meet prerequisite requirements or satisfy a degree/certificate previously awarded at UAFS or its predecessors.
Once the petition is granted, all of the following apply:
- Clemency will cover all grades (excluding credit by exam) earned prior to the minimum period of non-enrollment,including transfer. The use of these courses for placement and prerequisites will be forfeited. These grades/credits will be recorded on the permanent academic transcript, but will not be used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average or for consideration in any future academic deliberation.
- Academic clemency may be used only one time. This action is final and irreversible. The notation "Academic Clemency Granted" and date will be noted on the academic transcript.
- Acceptance of this policy by other institutions is at the sole discretion of those institutions.
- Credits earned during the clemency period cannot be used to satisfy any UAFS degree or certificate.
- Academic clemency is not recognized by the federal government for financial aid eligibility determinations regarding the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
- All semesters of attendance, including those in clemency, are considered in the determination of athletic eligibility.
Academic Clemency Form