Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Determining Residency

Students are classified as one of the following: 
  1. In-state (have lived in Arkansas)
  2. Border state (have lived in Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas for at least six consecutive months before the beginning of the term for reasons other than attendance at UAFS)
  3.  Out-of-state and international (to determine tuition by legal residence) 
The residency classification of a minor is the same as that of his or her parents or guardian unless the student is married or has otherwise established a separate legal residence. 

Military personnel assigned to active duty in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas shall be accorded in-state status. Spouses and dependents of active-duty personnel shall be accorded in-state status as well, provided they reside in one of the states noted above.

Proof of Residency

State-supported colleges are required to collect documentary evidence of a student's permanent residency. Documentary evidence must be provided to support residency for in-state tuition for Arkansas and the surrounding border states of Oklahoma, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. If residency is in question or if you are seeking residency reclassification, you must submit documentary evidence. The requirement is six months of permanent residency before the start of the semester for purposes other than attending college. If you do not provide the evidence to prove in-state residency, you will be classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes.
You must provide copies of any two acceptable forms of documentation from the following list.