Upward Bound Math-Science
Upward Bound Math/Science is a federally-funded program that helps participants develop the skills and motivation necessary to succeed in college. Through Upward Bound Math/Science, participants receive additional classroom instruction, tutoring, counseling, extensive preparation for college, and cultural enrichment.
The program is designed to strengthen the math and science skills of participating participants. The goal of the program is to help participants recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in math and science. With Upward Bound Math/Science, a college education can become a reality.
Upward Bound Math/Science provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performance and ultimately in higher education pursuits. Upward Bound Math/Science serves high school participants whose families meet the Department of Education’s income guidelines and/or high school participants from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. Upward Bound Math/Science seeks to increase the rates at which participants enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Eligible students will have access to:
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, and/or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student Financial Aid programs and benefits
- Guidance and assistance on secondary school reentry or alternative education programs; entry into general educational development programs or postsecondary education
Eligible students earn the privilege of attend an end-of-summer trip, incorporating educational and cultural enrichment experiences.