Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Federal Student Aid

Federal student aid includes Federal Grants, Federal Work-Study, and Federal Loans. Federal aid is financial aid from the federal government to help you pay for educational expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to qualify for any federal assistance.

According to the Federal Student Aid Handbook, a person must be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program to receive Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds (exceptions are discussed later in this chapter). A regular student is someone who is enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible institution to obtain a degree or certificate offered by the school.

Basic Student Eligibility

General eligibility requirements are that a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (with some exceptions, contact UAFS Financial Aid)
  • Be registered with Selective Service, you were born male
  • Be accepted/enrolled as a regular student in an eligible degree/certificate program
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent
  • Complete the FAFSA

The U.S. Department of Education is the final authority on all federal aid programs. All awards will be based on the most current regulations. The information included in the UAFS Financial Aid website is solely for information purposes is not intended to be used as any authority governing any federal aid program.

For more information regarding available federal aid programs, please visit StudentAid.Gov.

Financial Aid consequences for drug law violations.